Four Cylinder Ectomy

(Written on 3/31/2022)
 
After taking numerous measurements, I was absolutely certain that the V6 engine might possibly fit. 🤞😜🤞 The next logical step was to remove the Spitfire's engine and transmission to allow full access to the engine bay.

I see by the photo dates that I did this in October, so the chronology of the blog is a bit off. Oh well.

 

A friend generously loaned me an engine hoist and I got to work. The anti-freeze was drained and the radiator removed. Time was spent taking a number of photos and labeling connections and loose parts.
 

This is the four speed Triumph gearbox viewed from passenger compartment, driver's side. Regardless of what engine ends up in the car, this will not be the transmission. What you can see here is the hydraulic clutch cylinder, the speedometer cable, and wires to the neutral and/or reverse sensor.

 

The Spitfire has so little ground clearance that I had to jack it up a bit for the hoist to roll under the chassis.

 

With the bonnet removed, the front end is wide open, making pulling the engine and transmission very easy. I'm omitting lots of boring steps like disconnecting the exhaust, driveshaft, fuel lines, numerous wires, etc.

Engine and transmission clear of the car without incident. A good day.
 
 
 
The engine bay was now empty, but caked with greasy dirt, and oil.
 
 

After some scraping I knew I needed a better way to clean the engine bay. After an internet search I decided to use a product called Purple Power and my pressure washer.

 

Car prepped for engine bay power washing.
 
 
 
I had sprayed everything with Purple Power, let it soak, and hit it with the pressure washer. This was repeated three or four times. On the plus side it cleaned it very well. On the down side, my pressure washer and I were splattered with grease! I'll take some precautions against that mess if there is a next time.
 
 
Now I can take measurements and test fit in a clean unobstructed area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurry Up and Wait

Better Late Than Never

Taking a Detour at the Mill